So I hosted a Passover Seder this week on Thursday night and
invited a bunch of friends from the Economics Department. We had a great turn
out and it was a lot of fun. For those of you who do not know, the Passover
Seder is a traditional dinner ceremony in celebration of the Passover holiday.
“Seder” literally means “order”. The holiday is in remembrance of the story of
Exodus, where Moses helped to lead the Israelites out of Egyptian slavery. I am
certain you have seen or heard of the unleavened bread, referred to as Matzo, that
we eat during the eight day holiday. If you would like to learn more you can
follow this link and enjoy an informative video:
For the meal, my mother insisted I prepare a particular
dish. It came out being fantastic and so I shall now share the recipe with you:
Carrot Soufflé:
Ingredients:
·
1 lb Carrots
·
½ Cup Melted Margarine (butter if dairy is ok)
·
3 Eggs
·
¾ Cup Sugar
·
2 Tablespoons Matzo Meal (or bread crumbs I
suppose)
·
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
·
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Tools:
·
A food processor or blender
·
Some bowls
·
Maybe a Spoon?
·
1 qt Casserole dish
The process of making the Soufflé is quite simple. Cut up the carrots into small chunks and
place them into a pot. Fill the pot with water above the level of the carrots
and bring to a boil. Then lower to a simmer and allow the carrots to cook a few
minutes until soft. (The idea is for them to be soft enough to be easily diced
in a food processor or blender.) Then drain the water and mix in the melted
margarine. Place the mixture into the food processor and obviously run the
machine. It may be smart to do this in stages and only place a fraction of the
mixture in the processor at a time. This may help it dice the carrots more
effectively. Now mix in the eggs. Then mix in the remaining ingredients. Once
again, process the mixture so it becomes a nice creamy orange blob of
deliciousness. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and cook uncovered for
1 hour at 350. That is all. In an hour and a few minutes of cooling you will be
enjoying a deliciously sweet Carrot Soufflé!
Makes enough for 5-6 people to have as a sizable side dish.
Sorry no pictures, it was gobbled up too quickly…
In seemingly unrelated news, I began watching the new
Sherlock Holmes series this evening on Netflix. Pretty sweet show. Seems like a
great actor choice to play the role. I suggest anyone with interest in watching
a witty sociopath with a British accent make clever conclusions using seemingly
obscure evidence check the show out…
That is all for tonight. Take care. And now for your
favorite update…
Benefit of Being a Smaller than Average Person:
#2. Much more comfortable airplane rides. In fact, sleeping
on the folding tray on the seatback in front can be quite refreshing…
I wonder why you watching Sherlock is only _seemingly_ unrelated news... however, thumbs up for doing that! Living with Hus and me, you'll have to watch all episodes before January 2013. Seeing as there a whole half dozen of them, that seems an almost impossible feat, I know...
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSherlock is freaking amazing!!!
ReplyDelete